Freshfel-SHAFFE Citrus Meeting Minutes
02 Mar 2010
MINUTES FOR FRESHFEL/SHAFFE CITRUS MEETING OF 2
nd FEBRUARY 2010
- The meeting was opened by José Antonio Garcia, the Chairman of the Freshfel Citrus Working
Group, who thanked participants for their attendance and for their commitment to the Citrus Working
Group which through cooperation is able to give a global perspective on the citrus sector. Mrs
Marta Bentancur, Chairwoman of SHAFFE also welcomed the participants and will co-chair the
- Participants at the meeting were asked to present themselves. Representatives were present from
northern hemisphere producing countries Spain, Italy, Morocco, Turkey, Israel, USA and China, with
contributions for the meeting also received from Greece and Cyprus. Southern hemisphere
representatives were present from Australia, South Africa, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile and Peru.
There were also market representatives from UK, Italy, Scandinavia, Germany, France, Spain,
Russia, USA and China.
- The agenda for the meeting was confirmed with no comments from those present.
- An antitrust declaration was made to remind those present that the discussion will by no means
involve matters or topics which could influence market prices or volumes and that the exchange of
data and information is strictly limited to matters which do not interfere with competition or anti-trust
- A summary of the situation for the previous year’s citrus teleconferences was made by Philippe
Binard, explaining the key timing for the teleconferences and the important seasonal information
which was compiled at each meeting.
- A brief overview of consumption trends in the EU was also made, which showed that despite
consumption remaining fairly constant from year-to-year across the EU, large discrepancies exist
between Member States.
- Detailed information of the data presented at the meeting is included in a PowerPoint presentation
used to structure the discussion. The PowerPoint is to be found in annex to these minutes. Below
are some supplementary comments.
Click here to read more